The accounting system is divided into 4 main areas that are accessible from the main menu. These are:
1. General Ledger
- The General Ledger system is used primarily for entering Journal Entries.
- Invoices for Balance Sheet accounts are entered through the Expenditure Ledger System.
2. Expenditure Ledger
- The Expenditure Ledger is used for entering invoices for payment.
- Invoices may be posted to:
- Expense Ledger (Transaction type = DXRG – Regular Disbursement)
- General Ledger – Balance Sheet Accounts (Transaction type = GLDS – General Ledger Disbursement)
- Encumbrance (Transaction type = Regular Encumbrance)
Invoices are assigned to Preliminary Warrants. Reports are generated, and checks printed during this process.
After the warrant as been signed and checks printed, the warrant is moved to “Final Warrant” status. NO Changes can be made to the invoices after the warrant is finalized.
Refunds are entered as Invoices through the same process as other invoices.
Budgets are entered using the Account Maintenance Form
3. Revenue Ledger
The Revenue Ledger is used for entering deposits.
Budgets are entered using the Account Maintenance Form
4. Reports & Utilities
Reports and Utilities are available in each Ledger.
Steps for entering invoices and making payments to vendors.
- Expenditure Subsidiary Ledger – Open program and click on Expenditure Subsidiary Ledger to open expenditure disbursement system.
- Transactions – Click on Transactions, then select Manually Enter Transaction from the drop down menu.
- Department – Select a department to enter bills for (in general use ALL). This brings up the Disbursement Form
- Disbursement Form –
- Click on “New” from the menu to enter your first invoice. From the drop down menu, select DXRG- Regular Disbursement (for all regular bills)
- Vendor – Select a vendor –
- Click on Vendor Name field and start to type vendor name, then click the ? to select the vendor.
- Alternatively use ‘last’ vendor number, or type the vendor number in directly if you know it.
- Bill Schedule – put in the department name that this bill is for. This is descriptive only and appears on reports.
- Invoice # – type in the invoice number exactly as it appears on the bill. The more precise you are, the more likely that a duplicate bill can be identified easily.
- Invoice Date – enter the invoice date format mm/dd/yyyy
- Purchase Description – Enter a short description of invoice
- Account Number – Use the “?” to select account number, or use “Last” to select the last number used.
- Amount – Enter the invoice amount to be paid
- Warrant – Assign to a Warrant – This is the list of the bills to be paid. Either select from the dropdown, or create a new Warrant by clicking on the “New” button.
- Save Transaction
- Click on the “New” button from the transaction form, located at the bottom Center part of the screen.
- Enter a Warrant Number (alpha-numberic) or select “Next in Line”
- Anticipated Warrant Date – Enter a date in format mm/dd/yyyy or use the ? to view a calendar to enter a date.
- Create Warrant – Select this button to complete the warrant creation and it will return you to the Disbursement form.
- Warrants – Click on Warrants menu item from Expenditure Menu
- Check Control – Click on Check Control and select “Send a Preliminary Warrant to the Check Control System”
- Select the warrant – Select the warrant from the drop down menu and click “Send”
- Close Window
Check Control – Printing Checks
- Check Control – Click on Check Control from the Expenditure Menu
- Checks – Click on Checks and select “Build Check List” from the drop -down menu
Build Check List –
- Select the warrant (the same one or others that you want to print checks for.)
- Load Warrant – Click on the Load Warrant button. A pop-up window will confirm the number of bills and the total amount to be added to the check list.
- Assign Check Numbers – Click on Checks and select Assign Check Numbers from the drop-down menu.
- Enter the starting check number – Enter the check number that you want to start printing with.
- Assign Check Order – Forward or reverse, depending on how your printer is set up.
- Select the Start and Ending Vendor – Leave as is to print checks for all bills in the list, or selectively print bills by changing the starting and ending vendor
Preliminary Check Register –
- A pop up window will say that the checks have been assigned, and then the preliminary check register will open showing the check(s) to be printed.
- Print Checks – Click on “Checks” and then select Print Checks from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the “Print Checks” button. This will bring up a screen displaying the actual checks.
- Print Page or Print All – Click on the Print Page or Print All button to print the checks to check stock.
- Assign Checks – Click on the assign checks button
Creating a New Vendor
- Select Vendor from the Expenditure menu, and then choose either
- Quick New Vendor or
- Vendor Maintenance from the drop down menu.
Quick New Vendor –
Vendor Maintenance –
- Use this to create a vendor with detailed information, or to update a vendor you have previously created.
- Enter the name of the vendor and then press Load.
- If your vendor does not already exist, the system will generate a pop-up message asking if you would like to add this vendor.
- Complete the vendor information, including name, address, 1099, active vendor, etc.
- Click on the W-9 Information Tab – located at the bottom of the screen to add or edit W-9 information for the vendor.
- The Order Info/Memo tab is available for any misc information you would like to keep for the vendor.
- The Other Tab will show vendor summary information about amount spent over the year.